Saturday, November 7, 2009

finally, some cookie talk!

The original recipe, wich one day I will share with you,  called for almonds and powdered sugar, but I did not have any almonds nor almond extract,  what I did have were pecans and vanilla extract.  I don't think I need to tell you how the story ends, Pecan Cinnamon Sugar Cookies....Yummy! 

Although I think they deserve a more appropriate "stage" name like..."peek-an-mon cookie bites"  or  "sugar-mon pecan bites".  What do you think?


It all starts with ingredients you probably already have in your refrigerator and your pantry; granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, corn starch, pecans and my secret ingredient.....


....Betty Crocker's Sugar Cookie mix.   Best invention ever!  It makes baking so easy AND  it makes me feel like a big shot baker. And they come in a variety of flavors; chocolate chip, oatmeal, and oatmeal chocolate chip to name a few.

I have started stocking up on this mixes,  believe it or not they are hard to find during the holiday season.


And you thought I was kidding.  What you can't see,  is another row of cookie mix pouches right behind this one!  I know, I need help.

Ingredients:
1 pouch of Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie mix
1/3 - 1/2 cup of corn starch.
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 egg
1/2 cup (one stick) of butter - soften, not melted. 
1/2 cup of finely chopped pecans
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon.  I really like cinnamon so I use it all, and some times I add more,  but if you are not sure,  you should start with one teaspoon and add to your taste.

Before you start mixing,  set the oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium size bowl, mix the sugar cookie mix, corn starch, pecans, vanilla, egg and butter.  Mix with a fork until well blended.  Roll or spoon about 1/2 inch size balls onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. I use a small cookie scooper,  easier and less messy.  It yields about 46 cookies.


Bake anywhere from 7 - 10 minutes.  It really depends on the oven.  Mine takes about 7 to 71/2 minutes until the edges start turning a light golden brown......



Viola!   Nice light golden brown edges. This cookie is done! Baking at least....all it needs is a good dusting.....

While your cookies cool off on a rack....

Mix the granulated sugar and ground cinnamon in a small bowl.  Once your cookies have cooled off roll them in the sugar and cinnamon until they're all covered with the sugary mix....


Yummy! 



A mountain of goodness.

But don't take my word for it.   Locally, one of my hardest critics,  my 8-year old son, was at hand to provide an unbiased opinion.....


What I did not know was that two of his alter egos were going to participate in the judging.  And yes, they all had a cookie.

Almost a perfect score!.........but wait.......


Apparently after a review of the previous scorings and a second tasting they have decided that my cookies deserved not 2 but 3 PERFECT TENS!

This cookies are ready for the market place.  They would make the perfect addition to our early morning garage sale.

We packaged...

Priced....

and cha-ching$!$   At least that's what we thought.  Sorry to say, I'm keeping my day job.

But I am not blaming it on the cookies, I am blaming it on the foot traffic.  It was almost non-existent.  We probably had about a total of 6 people come by.  They all bought something,  but not nearly enough for me to get rid of all my junk.

1 comment:

Bloggermaniac said...

They look really tasty! I want some...